Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas is near... What Five Movies Do You Need To Watch?

It's that time of year again when Holiday movies invade our televisions to spread cheer. I'll admit, I enjoy watching some Christmas movies and I'm not talking about slasher flicks were Santa lops off the head of people on Christmas Eve (Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy those mostly because I'm twisted in the head).

If I was told, under no uncertain terms, to pick my top five Christmas movies, and two honorable mentions, these are the films I would choose. I'm not including any film prior of the eighties, only because the eighties were the best decade ever. I also will not be going to go into detail of the plot since most of you will know anyway. Keep in mind, your results may vary.

   5. Ernest Saves Christmas - Hardly seen on television during the season, this forgotten gem is tucked away in the vaults of Christmas past. It's goofy, silly, and at times stupid, but yet, it still manages to make me crack a smile.


  Out of all the Ernest movies, this is the only one I can stomach.

    4. A Christmas Story - "You'll shoot your eye out kid." How can one not have this on their list. A stable of TBS's Christmas Eve and Christmas. Granted, by the third straight viewing it does grow thin, but it's enough to tie you over until next year so you can switch the channel. 
 


Based on Jean Shepherd's short stories In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.

    3. ELF - I'm not sure why exactly I like this movie, I just do. Maybe it's Will Farrell, maybe its a young, blond, Zooey Deschanel. Either way, I do get a chuckle a few times throughout the movie.



The scene that gets me every time is Farrell chugging a 2 liter of Coke, followed by a 30 second belch and reply, "Did you hear that?"

    2 - Die Hard - Yeah, ok, it's not a Christmas movie per se, but it does take place during the season, so for that reason, I consider it one.



Yippe-ki-ya. Inspired by the Roderick Thorpe book Nothing Last forever.

 The number one movie was a no brainer for me. Not to many movies make me laugh out loud, Airplane being one of them. It's not that I don't find them funny, I guess it just takes a lot to make me laugh out loud.
  
1 - National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - I'll admit, I have a thing for younger Beverly d'Angelo. Ok, now that's out of the way, this movie for is downright funny. From the "Hap-hap-happiest" speech, to Clarks rant against his boss, Christmas Vacation plays on my Blu-Ray several times a season. 
  


The movie has a great supporting cast, highlighted by Randy Quaid's cousin Eddie.

Honorable Mentions:

Bad Santa - Vile, but yet has a tender side. John Ritter steals the movie every scene he is in. 

Jingle all the Way - Bad. Very bad. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion and yet, I have to watch it when it's on. Watching Arnold in his thick Austria accent pretend to be funny is amusing in about itself. Jake Lloyd couldn't act in this movie, and he couldn't act in the Phantom Menace.

There it is folks. My top five Christmas movies. What say you? What are your top five Christmas movies and remember, only after 1980.





No comments:

Post a Comment