Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My top five zombie movies


This is my phone wallpaper
It’s no secret that I enjoy everything zombie. If it has that magical “z” word in it, I’m on it like, well, a zombie on a body. There is something about those slow—and yes, I do prefer the slow moving flesh eaters over the fast ones—that fascinates me.

Zombie movies as a genre have been hit or miss. I could rant on about the abomination known as World War Z. I guess I shouldn’t say that definitively. The first half was decent, but my God, why couldn’t they have stuck to the elements of the fantastic book by Max Brooks. For seeing so many zombie movies, it was difficult to narrow down my personal top five. I felt as if I was going through hundreds of Christmas presents, and I had to only choose five. It was tough because there are so many, some great, some, downright horrible. But I always seem to find way to get enjoyment out of even the terrible ones (yes, I'm looking at you Zombie Strippers).

Let's get started, and as always, your opinions may vary:

5)  DEAD ALIVE A.K.A. BRAIN DEAD (1993) – The early films of Peter Jackson were probably not what you would have expected from him. This slap stick, over-the-top gore fest brings not only laughs, but a heaping amount of blood and guts. I usually can handle just about anything I see on television, but the dinner scene actually had me turning away. Some of these zombies have personalities, most notably zombie baby, who endures a lot, but still keeps on ticking. So many good gifs to choose from for this movie, but I need to try to stay somewhat respectable, so I will refrain.
 
                                                      
 
 
4) DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004) - I may get crucified by some of my zombie purists, but I enjoyed the 2004 version over the 1978 Romero version. Zach Snyder's directorial debut featured a great opening sequence topped off with Johhny Cash's The Man Comes Around. Sure they run, and sure it lacks the humor and wit of the ‘78 version, but I still enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the original, but this one just edges it out.

What's up!

I took a few days off before proceeding with this list. I'd pondered where to place the next three movies that I stop to watch on television if I came across them. It was a tough call, but I believe I'm ready to put them in order.
 
3) Shaun of the Dead (2004) - Trying to win your girlfriend back, make things better with your mom, and, oh yes, there is a zombie outbreak. Where is the first place you run...the local pub or course. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's chemistry is fantastic, and the supporting cast is almost as great. To this day, I still laugh my ass off as Pegg and Frost are flipping through the collection of old vinyl records. Why? To throw at an undead girl in the backyard.
 
 

 
2) Zombieland (2009) - Bill Murray, enough said. Not that he makes the entire movie, as he's only in it for fifteen minutes, tops, but it's his cameo that pushed Zombieland to the #2 spot. The entire cast nails it—Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin fight their way cross country to get to an amusement park—and all to find Twinkies. This is another movie where the opening sequence is one of the highlights.
Zombie kill of the week
 
1) Night of the Living Dead (1968) - The movie that got me hooked on zombies. I came close to placing this at #2, but the more I thought about it,  it seemed only logical that Romero's cult classic take the top spot.
 
 
 
There it is, my top five favorite zombie movies. There were a few notables that should be mentioned.
 
 
28 Days Later - Hated the last 1/4 of it.
Resident Evil - Yes Milla Jovovich is nice to look at, but, it lacks something that I can't put my finger on.
Return of the Living Dead - Running zombies I can live with. Talking zombies, no.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! Your list is similar to mine, with the exception of number four ... but I won't crucify you for it. It's fun to read about what authors like! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete