Friday, May 15, 2015

Interview with author Lynn Lamb

My interview this week is with Lynn Lamb, author of the apocalyptic series, The Survivor Diaries. I want to thank Lynn for taking time out of her schedule to stop by for the interview.
 
 
Tell us a little about yourself. Who is author Lynn Lamb?
 
I am the author of The Survivor Diaries Series of novels. Book IV, Frozen Webs, is slated for release on May 29, 2015, and my short story anthology, The Oxymoron of Still Life, is out on May 16, 2015. I enjoy writing about my hometown of Monterey, California. I was both fascinated and saddened to turn my beloved city into a torn and broken place that my characters must learn to navigate and pilfer in order to survive.
I have a BA in Cinematic Arts and Technology, and I am also an independent filmmaker and scriptwriter. I have worked professionally in the corporate word of video production, as well as freelance. My ultimate dream is to produce the Great American Documentary.
 
How long have you been writing?
 
I have been writing on-and-off my entire life. I was a journalism major in college and was only one semester away from my degree in it before I switched my studies to film; therefore, most of my writing has been in film and video scripts.
I began to write literary fiction in October of 2013. Since then, I have written five novels.
 
Tell us about The Survivor Diaries. How did you come to write the series?
 
I have had a life-long fear and fascination with a nuclear apocalypse. While I was growing up, there was no such thing as watching television around the dinner table. We spoke of world news and events, and I was introduced to the subjects of nuclear holocaust and the Cold War at a young age. Looking back, perhaps I was a bit too young. I remember staying up at nights worrying about something happening to my family. After reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, by Eleanor Coerr, my fears only worsened.
Writing about nuclear war and survival is a way to help tame those worries and allowed me to play out a scenario where my family and I not only survive but become experts in forging the land independent of society as we know it today. The main character, Laura Patton, becomes a leader of a group determined to make a new life for themselves, and in that way I am able to feel some control over the prospects of nuclear annihilation.
 
You have two books coming out this month, tell us about them?
 
Frozen Webs, Book IV of the Survivor Diaries Series, is the continuation of the story line about a group of survivors fighting for their lives in the destruction of the Last War. It takes off moments after Moving Mountains ends on a cliffhanger. Readers will finally learn the big question throughout the series, Who pushed the button first and why!
Frozen Webs is the most intense in the series yet, with many twists and turns along the way. With this book, I set out to push my limits and to stay outside my comfort zone. It is very important to me that the books change and evolve in a way that gives the reader a new experience with each new read.
 
Oxymoron of Still Life is a trilogy of short stories examining different aspects of life, death, and dying. It is very different than my other writing in both mode and tone, as I set out again to push my limits and write something completely unexpected.
 
Where do you like to write?
I am most comfortable writing in a dark or sparsely lit room with just the computer monitor to light my way. I believe its a throw-back to learning video editing, which is often done in dimly lit editing bays.
 
 
What inspired you to write?
 
My family and close friends are the greatest inspirations to my writing. They are such amazing people!

 
Three books that are must reads?
 
My three must read books are: Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck, The Handmaids Tale, by Margaret Atwood, and The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss.
 
Do you plan your books out, or write on the fly?
 
I planned the arc of the Survivor Diaries stories at the conception; however, I write the details as they come to me. I also have a basic outline for each of the stories.
 
What advice would you give an aspiring author?
 
Dont do it for the money! Ha!
 
 
Top reason you wanted to be a self-published author?
 
I became a self-published author to have the freedom to tell my own story in my own way!

 

 
Where can readers find you?
At my house, in that dark room I mentioned earlier (just kidding). 
My books can be found on my Amazon author page 
Pick up her newest book, Oxymoron of Still Life tomorrow, May 16th.
Book I of the Survivor Diaries can be downloaded for free on Smashwords.
Twitter @DiariesSurvivor
 
 
Thanks for having me on your Author Q&A Panel, S.J. Hermann. Wishing you all the best with your publishing endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment