Thursday, August 27, 2015

Interview with author Corey Carter



My interview this month is with, Corey Carter, author of Shadows of Deception, and the short stories, Nobody’s Home and The Black Shadow. 

I want to thank Mrs. Carter for taking time out of her busy schedule to fill us in on her writing, and her upcoming projects.



Tell my readers a little about yourself.

I am the author of the romantic thriller novel, Shadows of Deception, and I’ve also published two short stories entitled Nobody’s Home and The Black Shadow. When I’m not writing, I’m a full time toddler wrangler, spending most of my days trying to mold my two-year-old daughter into an intelligent and kind human being. I reside in Eastern North Carolina with my husband and daughter who are both obsessed with the ocean.
I graduated from East Carolina University in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in English. I’m a big fan of creative outlets, so I worked as a floral designer before and during my college years, and I’ve enjoyed writing, painting, and drawing sketches since I was a child. It was not until 2013 that I discovered the option to self publish my writing, so I revisited a novel I started to write during my first year of college. Shadows of Deception was unnamed and sat untouched for years, but once I opened the file and started typing, it was like visiting with an old friend. I published my debut novel in December 2014, and I plan on pursuing the indie author path as time allows.

What got you interested in writing? 

Since I was a young girl, I’ve always kept a journal to record my dreams (or nightmares), thoughts, and feelings. Writing is healthy! My love for writing fiction blossomed when I took my first creative writing course in college. Aside from regular assignments, I would spend hours in the evenings writing short stories and flash fiction just for fun.

What was the first story you wrote?

The first full story I wrote was about the unexpected death of a childhood friend. I’d written my feelings in my journal when I was young, but I didn’t share the story with anyone until I was assigned to write specifically about an experience with death. At the time, I thought it was a morbid and depressing assignment, but it turned out to be a positive experience that brought back some wonderful memories.

Do you have any rituals before you sit down to write?

Coffee! I require coffee and sometimes wine. I prefer to write locked away in my room at my desk in complete silence, but if an idea pops into my head; game over! I don’t care where I am, who I’m with, or if a gang of toddlers are marching around playing musical instruments. I will write! I always keep a pen and notepad with me, so I don’t lose any passing ideas.

I have called you the queen of short stories on social media. Which do you prefer to write, short stories or full length novels?

At the moment, I prefer to write short stories. My writing time is limited to two hours in the afternoons and three hours in the evenings at most. It’s easier for me to focus on a short story, because if my writing is interrupted by before mentioned toddler, I can easily go back and read what was previously written.  Regardless, I am trying to work on my second novel.


I’ve read,The Black Shadow and Nobody’s Home, and they are both fantastic. The Black Shadow is based on a true story. Could you tell us more about that?


Thank you for the compliment! When I was a young girl, I rode the bus with a terrifying boy who made it his goal to harass me every single day. I have never forgotten his face or his cruelty. One day, I started to run a series of what if scenarios through my mind, and that is how I came to write The Black Shadow. What if he had followed through with the frightening threats he made to me on a daily basis? The beginning of The Black Shadow is based on actual events. The worst threat the antagonist makes to Gracie in the story was actually said to me. I did go through a bit of a struggle during that time and suffered from nightmares, which I also describe in the story, but the fate Denny meets in the end of the story is fiction.

Tell us about your full length book, Shadows of Deception.

Shadows of Deception is a romantic thriller novel packed with action and suspense. The story explores stalking and abuse, blackmail, generalized anxiety disorder, the priceless bond of lifelong friendships, and a second chance at lost love. From passion to car chases, this book offers something for everyone to enjoy.
Writing this novel was a lot of fun for me and an informative adventure. I had to do my share of research about different types of weapons and defensive driving techniques. In order to create a genuinely evil villain, I learned more than I wished to know about the complex characteristics of a psychopath. I now feel equipped to point one out in a crowd and run like hell!

Do you plot out your stories, or write on the fly?

I’m an admirer of free flow writing. I could spend days making an outline, but I’d rebel by chapter two. I get a general idea of what I want to write about, and I just start writing.

What do you think is the worst part of being an indie author? On the flip side, what is the best part?

Trolls and stalkers! They seem to exist in droves on social media. My advice is to maintain your dignity and ignore their negativity and creepiness. Another downside is the incredible amount of time an author must spend on self promotion when they should be writing. I’m a social person, and I enjoy and appreciate the connections I’ve made through each of my social media platforms, but I really should be locked away in a room writing.
The best part of being an indie author is the freedom! You have complete control over your manuscript and book cover, and you can work at your own pace. It’s rewarding to see your own hard work available to readers, knowing that you did it all on your own. It’s always encouraging when a new reader sends you a compliment or gives you an excellent review.  

Here is the question that almost every writer / reader gets asked. You’re on a desert island and can only have one book. Which would it be?

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. This beautifully written novel was assigned to me one semester during college. I had taken the wrong combination of courses that fall, and my desk was covered in stacks and stacks of novels which I was expected to read in one semester. When I cracked this one open, I did not put it down until the end!

Can you give us a hint on what your next book will be about? 
 
Several people have asked me this recently, and because I’m in the early stages of writing my second novel, I have not given out any major details concerning the plot. It is a romance novel which will explore the idea of reincarnation. I have my share of historical research to do, but I love history, so I’m excited. I do not have a set release date yet, and I’m still waiting for the title to jump off of the screen and smack me in the head.

In the meantime, I’m also working on my third short story (possibly novella) entitled He Who Waits In Darkness. This story will provide readers with all the thrills found in The Black Shadow and Nobody’s Home, but the focus is on the very serious subject of depression. I hope to have this title published within the next month, perhaps earlier.

Where can readers find you? 

I am everywhere… almost. Please join me!
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/1LBUC05
Goodreads: http://bit.ly/1LBUEVI

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I understand why Corey likes to write short stories more than novels, and I completely agree.
    ~ LX Cain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. It's fun to read about great writers!

    ReplyDelete